Sometimes bedtime feels like a battle ground. Try as we might, we just can't fall asleep.
On those nights, when the status quo isn't enough, it's important to have tried-and-tested techniques that you can turn to help you quiet your mind and fall asleep. Techniques like Moon Breathing.
This relaxing exercise is perfect for those nights when your racing mind just won't settle. Nadi Shodhana, also known as Moon breathing, is highly effective in easing anxiety and inducing deep sleep.
The Nose Knows: Moon Breathing Relaxation Exercise1. Begin in a comfortable seat (laying in bed is perfect!)
- Begin in a comfortable seat (laying in bed is perfect!)
- Place your finger gently over your right nostril and close it. Inhale slowly, deeply and with intention through your left nostril. Exhale slowly and consciously.
- Release your finger from your right nostril, then gently close your left nostril. Inhale slowly, deeply and with intention through your right nostril. Exhale slowly and consciously.
- Aim to match your inhale length to your exhale length. You can increase the length as you progress your practice.
- Throughout the practice, focus on your breathing. As thoughts come into your mind, simply acknowledge them and then return your focus to your breathing.
- Close your eyes and repeat steps one to four, for 5-10 breathe cycles.
- Surrender to relaxation and allow a deep sense of calm to wash over you.
Have you tried this exercise? Share your feedback in the comments below!